- Tell us a little about your book.
Rarity is more than a teenage love story/drama. Rarity deals with what happens when someone you love is diagnosed with a rare disorder. There are a lot of emotions that come into play when you have life-changing news and this book provides a glimpse into that world. Although it is a fiction story many of the events have happened to real people.
- What is your favorite part about writing? Least favorite?
My favorite part of writing is creating the characters and braiding them into the story. It’s like having a blank canvas and creating something beautiful and heartfelt…only with words.
Least favorite is the promoting. I enjoy meeting new people but I hate having to find ways to talk about my book. I’d rather just become friends and get to know them – I make an awful sales girl. I’m the kid who had the lemonade stand but gave it away for free.
- A director tells you that you have complete control over casting the movie version of your book. Who plays who?
Dylan Sprayberry (from Teen Wolf) would play Jay
Penelope Mitchell (from Vampire Diaries) would play Becca
Haley Ramm (Into the Wild) would play Brogen
- If your house was burning down and you could save one thing, what would it be (don’t say photo albums, everyone says photo albums)?
My pet cockatiel, Gimli. He’s old but I love him.
- If you could choose what one message that a reader takes away from reading your book, what would it be?
That a diagnosis of a rare disorder is devastating but it is not the end. You must rule your life and not let the disorder rule you.
- Imagine a world where everyone wears a t-shirt that says something about who they are as a human being, i.e. “Doesn’t play well with others” or “Don’t talk to me until I’ve had coffee.” What would yours say?
“Must be kept in a cool environment or mood sours quickly.” Seriously. I hate the heat. Proof? We moved away from Austin, TX…who does that? It’s the best place to live. But it was so hot that I could not stand the temperature and we moved back to the Midwest to enjoy the 4 seasons.
- Who has been your biggest supporter in your writing?
Tie for hubby and my mom.
- What writer do you admire the most and why?
JK Rowling. She created this amazing world that has sparked so many young people to become avid readers. Her characters are amazing, the scenery is painted for us, and there is mystery, humor, peril, and love. The Potter books are a magnificent creation.
- If you had only one book to read for the rest of your life what would it be?
Honestly, Bartlett’s Book of Quotations. I love famous quotes and try to think of the context in which the quote originated. I worry I’d tire of hearing the same story over and over again if I picked a traditional novel.
- Favorite quote about writing, life or otherwise:
“Writing is utter solitude, the descent into the cold abyss of oneself.”
― Franz Kafka